Monday, December 28, 2009

Relocating Chez Spence?

Today is New Years Eve, 2009. I took the day off, and am happily sitting here in my wrap/blanket (NOT a snuggie), and I'm watching a picturesque, light snow falling outside.

Out my window, disturbing the tranquility, I can also see cars driving down the street. The creepy neighbor lady walking outside in flip flops and her robe (did I mention that it is snowing?) to pick up her paper. My two next door neighbors are men who are obsessed with their leaf blowers and are leaf blowing their snow. I have always lived with this type of suburban noise, and I have had enough, and so has Scott. We are officially looking to relocate Chez Spence to somewhere quiet, wooded, and secluded.

This is not to say that my suburban neighborhood is not an awesome place to be if you enjoy the close proximity of neighbors. We are within walking distance to everything we need - the market, the library (one of the best in the county), the brand new recreation center, not to mention all of the schools. The coffee shop, that is also a short walk away, is charming and brews a mean bean. The doughnut shop takes me back to the year 1956, and I am burning some of the calories I consume because, guess what? I'm walking there, too.

The convenience of this city cannot be beat either. Our location is roughly a 15 minute round trip to the airport, and we equidistant from 3 major freeways in the area, within about 7 minutes of each. We are far enough away that we are not inconvenienced with the noise and traffic. We are also on the same side of town as our friends and family.

And then we can talk about the nostalgia: Scott's Grandma has a picture with her class in front of our historic little cabin, because she attended the high school here. My Grandpa used to drink at the bar at the end of my street. My mom used to ride her bike from her home that was one city over.

Emotionally, I am quite attached to our home. It is comfortable and beautiful. We moved here when we were first married, and have made many memories. I will sob uncontrollably in the event that we decide to sell this house.

Any of these would be good reasons to stay, but as I age a bit, I am looking for something different. I long for peace and tranquility. I yearn look out my window, at my large piece of land, and watch wildlife and see trees. I am not a country girl, nor will I ever be. I like conveniences and hate well water. I am also not a fan of new construction, and prefer the charm of older homes. All of my likes and dislikes put me into a bit of an awkward position in my quest for homestead happiness. Most areas with acreage have well water, and are most commonly populated with homes built after 1970. These areas are also typically about a half hour from civilization.

Finding an area that meets my critical requirements will definitely be a challenge, but these areas do, exist. There is a village about 35 minutes east of my current location. The taxes are high, the house prices are high. The scenery is priceless. Deer are plentiful, and wild turkey roam the landscape (I didn't even know that Cleveland had wild Turkeys!). They call it a "Bird Sanctuary". A river runs through the town, and there are cliffs and valleys. People donate some of their acreage to a land conservation program to keep this city green and spacious. I, personally, love snow, and this location is located within the "snow belt". Within a 10 to 15 minute drive you will find some of the best shopping in the area. Also within that distance are 3 major freeways.

It seems like a dream, but with the right planning and timing, it will become our reality. My memories of our first house will come with me, though I will vacate the home itself. I know that I am preparing to embark on an emotional journey into the next stage of my existence. It should be quite interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment