Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Since I last wrote, I received what will be one of my favorite Christmas presents in the years to come. My boss, Kim, took fellow Team Leader Karen and I to a cooking class and dinner with Chef Loretta Paganini. To be honest, I did not know who she was when I arrived, but now I will never forget her. She is a local cooking celebrity, originating from Bologna, Italy. She runs 2 schools, right here in my beloved Cleveland, one for "home cooks" (see www.lpscinc.com) and the other to train professional chefs (see www.icasi.net) . In doing a bit more research, I see that she is the chef behind Simply Gourmet on the Discovery Channel.

The class was entitled "Cooking with Wine". We were permitted to bring our own wine and watch the show. Karen and I even participated in the program by stirring risotto for [exactly] 23 minutes - it's one of the secrets to perfect risotto. Needless to say, I was inspired on many levels. Chef Paganini combines her love of culinary arts with a flare for entertaining and obvious desire to teach - and it is the perfect combination. The food was absolutely delicious. I was reminded of how much I love to create things in the kitchen, even if they are other people's recipes at this point in my life. I have rededicated myself to learning technique and to being the best home-chef I can be for my family and friends.

That leads me to this past Saturday. It was gray, cold, and a bit snowy. A fire was roaring in the living room. I decided it was time to learn to roast a chicken properly. Rather than reach for my "Set-it-and-forget-it" Ron Popeil rotisserie, I reached for the masterpiece by Julia Child Mastering the Art of French Cooking. It's not a coincidence - I do admit that I was a bit inspired by the movie Julie and Julia. To be honest, I never thought that roasting a chicken was anything fabulous, nor did I see anyway that it could be. I was SO wrong. I roasted the chicken on its side, just like Julia instructed, and basted it regularly. I made a mushroom sauce consisting of cream and port wine. Scott and I flambéed the chicken in cognac. I even followed her directions for pan roasting fingerling potatoes. I learned so much as I studied and followed the recipes exactly. It was an amazing meal made with relatively simple ingredients. It is no wonder that the woman is touted as a legend. She explains why, not just what. There is actually chemistry and physics involved in cooking.

High on my success from Saturday night, I decided to pull out the recipes that I received from the cooking class. I made Osso Bucco (veal shank) in Gremolata Sauce, and poached pears with port zabaglione. Again, we enjoyed an amazing meal with relatively simple ingredients, and I was able to learn new techniques.

This week, I am keeping it simple with Fettuccine Alfredo, Roasted Red Snapper in mustard sauce, and Chicken Piccata, all things that I can easily make after work and last minute shopping. Then it's Christmas. I am not cooking for the holiday; we are going to be guests this year. I am already contemplating my culinary challenges for the weekend, however...

In case this is my last entry prior to the holiday, in case someone is actually reading my scribbles, I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas.




No comments:

Post a Comment