Tuesday, December 15, 2009

New Years Resolutions = Pie Crust Promises

Mary Poppins teaches the concept of the "pie crust promise" - "Pie crust promises" are "easily made, easily broken". I think that it is safe to assume that, with rare exception, this is how the typical new years resolution is defined. We all view the new year as a sparkling, clean slate. Another chance to make this year better than the last. The slate can only be so clean, however. Old habits and life in general always seem to get in the way of everyone's good intentions. The editor of Real Simple Magazine points out in her January editor's note that studies show most new years resolutions are disregarded by February 17. Based on my personal study of my own patterns and behaviors, there are two problems:

1. I expect miraculous complete change, as opposed to gradual improvement.

2. The list is too long and therefore impossible to achieve.

To the first point, I tend to fall "off the wagon" the first time I fail. Rather than learning from my mistakes, I give up. This is the danger of perfectionism: if it can't be done absolutely flawlessly, it is not worth doing at all. Marla Cilley, the "Flylady" and author of Sink Reflections, and www.flylady.net points out this danger and reminds her readers that even a little improvement is better than no improvement at all. As the saying goes, "old habits die hard", and new habits take a long time to root (typically, a minimum of 21 consistent days, or about 30 to 40 repetitions according to most information on the web).

Secondly, I think that the knowledge of a new year will give me some kind of superhuman powers to change everything about my life, my personality, and my habits that I do not consider acceptable. The list is long, and impossible. Again, perfectionism kicks in - if I cannot do it all, I just will refuse to do anything at all.

Based on my research and self reflection , I am improving upon my resolution list this year. I will give myself credit for things that were accomplished in the past year; be realistic by aiming for improvement and not necessarily complete change; and will add a few challenges that, if achieved, will make me a more well rounded person. I am also desperately hoping this blog will keep me accountable.

Reflection on 2009's resolutions:

1. Lost 15 pounds and did not gain it back.
2. Consistently attended a weekly Pilates class.
3. Exercised more consistently.
4. Cooked more, went out to eat less.
5. Became a bit more organized; learned to use what I have and get rid of what I don't use.

First draft of New Years resolutions, 2010.

Goals: Simplicity. Attainability. Specific when possible.
Disclaimer: Subject to Change through December 31, 2009

1. Continue the following never ending quests:

a.) Better organization both at home and at the office
b.) More consistent physical fitness
c.) Improvement of time management
d.) Budget dollars more effectively

2. Become a better listener, suppress urge to constantly express opinion.

3. Keep up to date with journal and blog.
(Writing makes me feel better and keeps me accountable)

4. Learn to sew. (Challenge to be more well rounded)

5. Get serious about learning the French language. (Challenge to be more well rounded)

6. Cook 6 out of 7 nights a week, carefully planning shopping each week. (Exception: kitchen construction timeframe)

7. Work towards losing and keeping off the final 10 pounds prior to health day at work in May, subsequently improving BMI.






No comments:

Post a Comment