Monday, December 7, 2009

The Value of My Pantry - Priceless!

At this point, it is the beginning of December. We still have our share of some above-average temperatures, but soon, things are going to change. This is the time of the year that I make sure I have my list of recipes that are pantry and freezer friendly, and I make sure that I am well stocked. When I wake to an ice storm or a foot of snow on the ground, I am prepared, and I do not need to leave the house. This, of course, includes the wine cabinet!

In the coming days, I will post my recipes and shopping lists as I prepare to hunker down. I have already had one instance, just this weekend, where my stocked pantry kept me out of the cold.

It was Saturday, and about 29 degrees. Scott and I spent the morning house-hunting, which has apparently become one of our favorite pastimes. We came home and we were frozen - thankfully, Scott lit a fire. Anna and her dog Coco, joined us, and we spent the day out of the cold, wrapped up in blankets in front of the toasty fire. Later in the day, just as darkness approached, the seemingly idyllic setting was disturbed by our stomachs hunger rumblings, and we all looked at each other in a panic because none of us wanted to go out to the store.

Thanks to my attempt to always have certain things on hand, I was able to make a rich and creamy Fettucini Alfredo on the fly - I made Giada DeLaurenttis's version as I was well stocked with lemons, a block of parmesan, fresh nutmeg for grinding, and butter. I did have to improvise slightly, however, if I didn't want to go to the store. I had exactly 8 ounces of cream, but 12 were needed - I threw in some half and half to balance things out - we couldn't even tell! The sauce was so rich and creamy. I also only had spaghetti, not fettucini. Slight texture difference, but still magically delicious.

Truth be told, this is my favorite time of year. To me, Winter is a time for slowing down, and enjoying and cozying up the inside the home that I love. With a little effort and creativity, my stockpiled pantry (and fridge/freezer) keep me inside, warm and dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment