Sunday, February 7, 2010

Do I actually have the same genes?

I do not ooze pride that I have the attention span of a gnat.

My entire life, I have watched the women in my family do all kinds of fun artsy crafty things. I do not have so much luck with the artsy and crafty stuff, to the extent that I'd think I was adopted if there wasn't such a strong resemblance among me and some of my relatives. I really do not care too much about my lack of craft-ability but there is one exception. It has come to my attention that I am the only female in my entire family that cannot sew.

Lead by my 89 year old grandmother, my mother, aunts, and girlie cousins all have the ability to turn on their sewing machines and produce something useful. Even my youngest cousin that is more than two times younger than me can do it.

In most things that I do, I am not typically one to defeat myself before I even try something. Not to toot my own horn, but usually I am resourceful and tenacious enough to learn many new things. When it comes to sewing, however, I freeze. I own a sewing machine, but I have no idea how to use it. Patterns, pinning, cutting, ironing, tracing, sewing....AHHHH! I just do not see a way that I will ever learn.

The list of 2010 New Years resolutions, however, says I will learn. I think that I am going to use the month of March to figure it out, or hit up one of my lovely and talented family members to help me figure it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment