Friday, June 19, 2009

Still Getting Started...

Several months ago, my good friend (Ballerina and Pilates teacher extraordinaire) Anna nicknamed our home "Chez Spence". Why? Probably because we invite our friends and family here any chance we get to share good food and good wine. It's my chance to live out my seemingly impossible dream of having my own little cafe/restaurant/coffee shop/bakery where people come to laugh and relax...and keep coming back for more.

It's a cry for help, you see. I'm trapped. Trapped into playing the sensible role of an insurance agent and living the 9 to 5 American dream. Don't get me wrong - employment is truly a blessing. Paychecks and health benefits are a wonderful and necessary thing, not to be taken for granted. But that's just boring reality. Chez Spence is my place to have the best of both worlds.

After living close to a quarter century of my life, appearing to have no artistic talent, I kind of started liking to cook. I successfully attempted to single handedly cook my first Thanksgiving dinner for both of our families (roughly 25 people) and realized that I enjoyed almost every moment - the hustle and bustle, the smells, the chatter and laughter of loved ones. The dirty dishes, well, not so much - but that's what the loved ones are for, right? At the end of the night, I was found sound asleep, underneath the pile of coats on our bed. Dead to the world, but very much at peace with my success.

After meeting my husband's friend, Eric (Chicagoan, talented cook, food and wine snob, etc.), and doing a bit of modest traveling, I realized that cooking and entertaining is, in fact, an art, and I finally found my artistic outlet. Not everyone has nor wants to have this talent, but most people who are in their right minds enjoy being around those that do have this talent. At this point, my skills primarily lie in planning and preparing other people's recipes with my own twists here and there, though I am slowly evolving and making up my own.

My real Chez Spence gives me the opportunity to spend time with friends and family and to live my cafe dreams without the risk and expenditure of quitting my real job, but my blog Chez Spence will give me a channel to diary my progress and share ideas with anyone else that is interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment